Tuesday 31 January 2012

A story 'doing the rounds'

It happened in an Underground station in London.*
"There were protesters on the concourse handing out pamphlets on the evils of Britain. I politely declined to take one. An elderly woman behind me was getting off the escalator and a young (20-ish) female protester offered her a pamphlet, which she politely declined. The young protester put her hand on the woman's shoulder as a gesture of friendship and in a very soft voice said, 'Madam, don't you care about the children of Iraq?'

The elderly woman looked up at her and said, 'My dear, my father died in France during World War II, I lost my husband in Korea and my grandson in Afghanistan. All three died so you could have the right to stand here and bad-mouth our country. If you touch me again, I'll stick this umbrella up your arse and open it.
"

* Needless to say the truth of this story cannot be authenticated - but I like the old dear's attitude........
(God Bless Great Britain - what there is left of it!)

2 comments:

PeterCharles said...

There are many variations of this story around, sticking a proverbial tongue out all manner of PC attitudes especially concerning green and military issues, but I must say this one really tickled my sense of humour.

It is a sad sign of our times that similar digs concerning race, religion and gender have been substantially repressed.

WitteringsfromWitney said...

PC Pleased to have amused you and agree with last paragraph.