Tuesday 23 August 2011

As all the elite have been on 'holiday'...

As readers will know I sometimes post a musical video, by way of a change. Following a reminder that I had been somewhat remiss of late in this regard, I thought we should all have a 'holliday'.

Way back in the late '50s and early '60s (last century, before some wag suggests otherwise) we produced a singer who was hailed as our version of Bing Crosby: Michael Holliday, who is probably best remembered for two songs: "The Story of My Life" and "Starry Eyed". It is reported that he suffered with stage-fright; and in 1961 he had a mental breakdown culminating in his committing suicide two years later.

EMI's Columbia Records released a tribute album in his memory which included a eulogy by Bing Crosby. A posthumous single by Holliday, ‘My Last Date,' which was completed a week before his death, was also released in 1964 and it is this song I have chosen to feature, being the romantic that I am.


RIP Michael - you are sorely missed.

4 comments:

cjw_1954 said...

That was the last century - it's 2011 now!

I am (just) too young to remember him so thanks for the opportunity to hear a voice from another age.

WitteringsfromWitney said...

cjw: Amended.......

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "Runaway Train" which was regularly played by Uncle Mac.

WitteringsfromWitney said...

A: How could I forget either......?

If you can rememember Uncle Mac, we must be of an age........?