Sunday 23 January 2011

And finally (for Sunday) ........

We, of the older generation, frequently tell those of tender years that there is nothing new.

Listen to this -  a transcription by Liszt of a Schubert melody "Auf dem wasser zu singen" - and then tell me that "Windmills of your mind" from the soundtrack of the Thomas Crown Affair, starring Steve Mcqueen and Faye Dunaway, was an original composition.

What is that phrase which we levy at our politicians? Oh yes: We've heard it all before!


4 comments:

subrosa said...

I don't think 'The Windmills of your Mind' was claimed to be original was it WfW?

It's one of my favourite songs and my favourite singer is a 6 year old. The video of that is in a cupboard to my left. :)

WitteringsfromWitney said...

I would need to look at the credits to be certain, but I do not seem to recall any 'atribution'.

George Speller said...

8 bars out of several hundred? Not really. They aren't even a crucial part of Auf dem Vasser. The composer of Windmills may well have been struck by this tiny fragment, but developed the idea into an entirley new piece - an independant piece of music in itself, beautifully contructed.

WitteringsfromWitney said...

GS: Bit more than 8 bars surely? In any event, if producing what amounts to a transcription surely an ack of some description is warranted?